Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Rooftop Rumble: Goat Party Part 2

More on the saga of the "goat events" party we hosted this weekend...

As it turned out, the youth group gala was the tamest part of our weekend. In comparison to my computer crashing (thus the recent lack of photos from this borrowed laptop) and my husband getting a chunk of hot metal embedded in his eye, having 20 teenagers over for goat activities was almost no stress at all. Emerson and Ellie were delighted when all the kids arrived and rushed into the yard; Ellie was so excited that he, well, allowed a natural bodily function to occur...one of the boys pointed and yelled "Eww! It pooped!" Elliot was downcast and mortified until one of the girls wisely commented, "Well, Michael, you poop too!"

Yeah, I really miss middle school...

The kids ate, rode the go-kart in the mud, took turns holding an adorable baby (also named Elliot!) who belonged to one of the leaders, and played impromptu field hockey. Curious, the goats jumped onto the roof of their shed for a better view of the game. Goats on the roof?? Suddenly there was a mad rush for the gate and a dozen or so kids climbed up on top of the shed with them. Emerson loved this, running among the kids in tight circles on the roof and dancing on his back feet as the concerned youth leader (coated in go-kart mud and counting potential injuries, I'm sure!) earnestly urged the kids to come back down. It was right about then that parents began to arrive to pick up their children. (They may think twice about signing that liability waiver for future events!)

The goats were sad to see everyone leave, all except one father who made a comment (within hearing range of the goats!) about suddenly being hungry for some "good goat curry." Now, I have often appreciated his flavorful, spicy curry at  church potluck suppers, but it made me realize that if we ever invite this family over again, it will have to be a closely-supervised visit! (And if I ever find out that all the curry I ate before wasn't actually beef...)

Perspective is a wonderful thing. Making wise decisions - even better. I'm still not sure getting a pair of baby goats wasn't a foolish mistake - but is it any worse than being lazy about backing up computer files, or grinding metal without safety glasses? I'm hoping to get my PC back Saturday, Mike has another appointment tomorrow with the opthamologist, and the goats are lounging on the deck with Emily. It could be worse.


1 comment:

  1. The kids (I speak of the human variety)had a great time. Thanks for hosting! And as a general rule, I shy away from eating anything I've named (except for that rooster named Joey, but he had it coming). Nonetheless, better not allow Eric to roam your yard unaccompanied.

    ReplyDelete