Monday, October 1, 2012

Now Who's the "Crazy Goat Lady?"


At the Goat Races on Saturday, we spied a woman pulling this wagon with two tiny goats sleeping inside - and amazingly, when we got closer, I realized I knew her from years ago when our daughters went to elementary school together, before their family moved upstate so they could buy land with more room to raise goats. (I believe she now has 32...) I admired her T-shirt ("Crazy Goat Lady") and stood in awe as she told me they had traveled two hours in their SUV to get there - with two adults, two children, two full-grown goats and these two babies. (Fortunately they were allowed to park on-site and did not have to wait in line for the school bus!)

Her older goats had raced but did not advance to the final rounds, and were calmly munching a pile of hay, not seeming to mind this all-day disruption in their routine. The tiny kids in the wagon were adorable, and I asked, "Is one of these other goats their mother, or did you just bring bottles along?"

"Oh. no," she answered, "Those are both males." (Oops - my mistake...) "And the kids are eight weeks old, so they're fully weaned."

Yes. Right. Of course they are. After all, no one would still be bottling two eight month old, I mean eight week old goats - how silly would that be? 


(High point of everyone's day!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment