Sunday, October 14, 2012

Boxy Boys

Recently a friend overheard me telling someone that the goats ate "about a box a day." Curious, she wondered, a box a day of what? Hay? Animal crackers? Apples?

No, I had to explain, not "a box a day" of anything. Just, a box. As in the plain brown cardboard variety. It's like a toy and a treat all-in-one. A nice sturdy box can keep them busy for hours. Plus, I figure it's good roughage for the rumens since they don't eat many weeds. (Somehow I don't think tender lilac leaves and hostas count as the "course roughage" so crucial to healthy caprine digestion...)

I am always on the lookout for cardboard - yard sales, farm markets, anywhere I can stow my purchases in a box. At one local market I package my items in discarded boxes at the checkout, and the friendly cashier always says, "Thanks for boxing!" as I leave with a cart full of boxes (carefully arranged with only two or three items in each!) Plus, think of the environmental benefit of not using all those plastic bags. Tomorrow this box will be fertilizer for the lawn!


No comments:

Post a Comment