Thursday, September 20, 2012

The New Food Pyramid for Ruminants?

Goats are a bit like magicians or circus performers - they can get into anything, out of anything, on top of anything; they can knock anything over. Basically nothing breakable, hazardous or edible is safe around a goat (except for those weeds you want them to eat - those they will blatantly ignore.) Today as I was climbing onto the shed roof to attempt some hoof-trimming, I noticed that a big chunk of one shingle was missing, and then I noticed that all of the shingles in that entire row had the corners bitten off. I don't want to blame anyone unfairly (it could be shingle-eating birds) but Emerson was chewing on something...

Really, goat boys?? The roof is their favorite place in the entire world, and they are systematically destroying it? This cannot be healthy for the goats or the roof. My husband, who only recently built them this deluxe home, is unlikely to want to re-roof it every few months! These are the same goats who refused my hand-picked weeds this morning because the plants were still slightly damp with morning dew. Yet, they are feeding on roof shingles. Maybe Emily and I can work on this after school...
Speaking of contortionists and acrobats (and sheds) - the goat shed has a narrow shelf inside for storage just below the roof line, about six feet up. It is useful for stowing rags, newspaper, scoopers and other things we don't want the goats to eat. This morning I reached up for a rag - and came down with a handful of brown pellets! I was more perplexed than alarmed (as a mother and a nurse I know there are many worse things to come in contact with than dried goat poop) - but how on earth are the goats getting these up there?? In the semi-darkness of the shed I stared, puzzled, at the pellets in my hand, unable to conjure up any explanation for how the goats could have deposited their droppings six feet in the air -  until one of the "pellets" began to move - and then flew away.....EWWWWWWW!! Okay, goat poop I can handle, but a nest of sleeping stinkbugs was almost more than I could take that early in the day! I couldn't get to the shower fast enough...

No comments:

Post a Comment