Friday, March 8, 2013

A Little Game of "I Spy..."

Have you ever had the feeling that you're being watched? That creepy sensation that you're not alone - even though nobody is around? When the hair on the back of your neck prickles (does it really do that??) You get the idea...

That was Megan, last night, in the downstairs shower. The small window in the basement bathroom has frosted glass, providing privacy from anyone lurking in the yard, but still...when she told me she felt like someone was in the concrete window well watching her, I was disturbed. My husband was away and I certainly didn't want to venture outside in the dark to investigate - perhaps the safest option was simply to call the police and report a "peeping tom." I grabbed the cordless phone. Having initiated numerous calls to 9-1-1 to report traffic accidents on our hazardous curve, I knew they would want a description, so cautiously I crept down the steps - toward the bathroom - and yes - there was someone crouching there!! I could make out a vague outline through the frosted glass - legs, maybe black pants - and a white shirt, perhaps. Strange that a nocturnal prowler would wear white - and that he would venture into the goat yard...

Oh. Goats. Right. I set the phone down, realizing that what Megan saw was not a "peeping tom," but simply a "peeping Elliot." This goat has gotten inexplicably stranger and stranger in the past few months. Wanting to be close to us, he can often be found on the windowsills to the kitchen or garage, wherever he can keep an eye on his "peoples." He must have noticed the light on in the bathroom and climbed down into the concrete window well to get a better look. Actually I wasn't sure how we'd ever get him out of there, but when I went to get the girls to help me lift him out, suddenly he materialized right behind me in the driveway.

I did find forensic evidence that Ellie may be spending a significant amount of time down there (you can figure that one out...). Who knows how many showers he's observed unnoticed? I reassured Megan that he is only being sociable, and after all, we observe the goats in their bathing and elimination routines all the time - but she still won't use that bathroom anymore until I get a curtain for the window.


                                                               We love you too, Elliot!

No comments:

Post a Comment