Saturday, February 9, 2013

The "Goat Suit" and other great buys...


For die-hard yard sale fanatics like myself, the search for amazing items at rock-bottom prices is as much about the thrill of the hunt as the financial savings. Today Emily and I were driving around town (well, Emily was driving and I was gripping the door handle and stomping on the floor mat...) - and we passed the house where I once snagged one of my favorite garage sale deals,  a graphing calculator the girls needed for school at the cost of $1.00, allowing me to return to the store the one I'd just bought (and thankfully not yet opened) for $99.99. (Three years later it's still working just fine.) We passed another house where I'd found Megan an entire set of Batman action figures, then a yard where I'd picked up a printer with no less than five new ink cartridges (that was a bit more expensive at $6.00). I love this town come springtime!

Most-useful item of the year - the wooden "feeding house" pictured above - although the roof can lift off to convert it into an enclosed box accessed by a small side door, the goats love it as a three-sided shelter from wind and rain and spend much of the day basking inside. (Warmer days they sleep on top...) Perfect size for two goats, or one goat and one sleepy teenager, after taking the goats on a long walk. Price: a terrific deal at twenty dollars.

Best deal - Emily's navy blue "goat suit" which I found last summer for a dollar in a nearby development. What it lacks in fashion it more than makes up for in warmth, durability and great pockets. Emerson and Elliot have mastered most of my velcro pockets (no treats safe from them!) but this suit is goat-proof, chew-resistant and machine-washable too.

It should be noted that the most expensive item in the photo is Emerson - originally advertised at a hundred dollars, he was "marked down" to $75 because we bought two goats. Right - I'm just not sure I got a good deal on that purchase...



No comments:

Post a Comment