Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Sarasota, here we come!


 A key piece of advice to prospective goat owners - if you don't have a large barn, just get a cat instead. Or a dog. Or a venomous snake. When that stupid groundhog saw his shadow and predicted six more weeks of winter, I almost cried. The goats themselves are pretty hardy in cold weather (though even one raindrop sends them into hysteria) - but it's me who minds the chill, the bitter winds, the trudging through the snow and ice...Lately I wake up every morning knowing that numb cold fingers and stiff knees await me and its hard to get out of bed. Spring cannot come soon enough!!

There has been a rumor circulating that I am getting rid of Em and Ellie - THIS IS NOT TRUE. First of all, who would take them? I don't know anyone that crazy. Second, I have great hopes that we will enjoy them again once the weather warms up. I used to have a nice set-up on my side of the garage, a cozy "goat-cave" where I could bring them on cold, wet days for hoof trimming, skin treatments and just to get out of the weather - I even had a chair for myself to read a book while they ate or to hold Emerson, who is quite a snuggler lately, always looking for a lap...Unfortunately my husband took on a major paintwork repair project and I no longer have use of the garage for the winter - so here is my new solution - the goats are traveling to Florida for a few months!

My dear Aunt Nancy and her husband winter in sunny Sarasota, Florida, and I learned this weekend that two of their grandsons are flying down to stay with them for a week. This gave me a great idea - I'll send the goats along!! They'll provide entertainment for many senior citizens, they can probably learn to play shuffleboard and they'll earn their keep by mowing the grass. I plan to ship them by "Domestic Animal Air" for a reasonable cost and they can be there by the end of the week. I'm sure Aunt Nancy will be both surprised and delighted.

(Oh, Nancy, by the way - when that oversize package arrives, open it carefully. I'll give the goats a mild sedative so they sleep for the journey, but I have no way to stop their digestive systems so there could be a hazardous waste issue - but it will be great for your organic garden!)


No comments:

Post a Comment