Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Bad goat days...

Some days are what I call "bad goat days." Not that the actual goats behave any worse than usual, just that I am struggling with the whole issue of having goats. This is one of those days.

Last evening was "Financial Aid Night" at my daughters' high school - an introduction to parents of juniors on how to begin the college search - covering topics like SATs, ACTs, GPA, FAFSAs, campus visits, interviews, applications - how to help your child not only select and gain acceptance to just the right school but also then how to pay for the next four years. I found the presentation informative but overwhelming. Somehow in the next year and a half I have to guide not one child but two in this process, both at the same time. I learned that applying for the upcoming SAT exam now requires applicants to upload a photo online for identification, and my computer for some reason won't even upload goat photos any more. Just too much to comprehend!

I was already a bit stressed before we went to the high school. Yesterday while sweeping up the goat pen I happened to notice under Elliot's tail what I can only refer to as (ok, I'm really sorry here) a "butt fungus" - awful yellow crusty stuff, somewhat malodorous, coating a part of him I rarely examine closely. (Obviously that will now have to change.)

Is anyone still reading? Retching and running for the bathroom? Apologies...but this is an honest blog so you get the good and the bad...

How had I missed this when the vet was here last week? What is it? Can it be related to his recent skin issues? I wondered if it could be caused by his sleeping habits. We can always tell where Ellie slept because there is a giant mound of droppings there, as though he stays in one position all night long just pooping away in his sleep (unlike Emerson who apparently gets up when nature calls - the "scatter-poop" is more difficult to clean up but likely more hygienic...). Frustrations!! Obviously I cannot ignore this, so after consultation with my favorite horse expert, I have a treatment plan involving baby shampoo, betadine scrub and an old soft toothbrush. Who thinks Elliot (now 60 pounds) will cooperate? Maybe I should add some rubber gloves to that list. And on top of this I need to help two kids find a college?

Consumed with schoolwork, Emily has largely given up goat care. She still cares about them, but I am generally the person who cares for them. I cannot fault her too much as good grades are certainly one great way to help pay for college, but still...some days I think that maybe a wonderful caring person will offer to adopt our goats and give them such a loving home...I would say yes. (Any volunteers? I'll even throw in the bottles.)

1 comment:

  1. If I had never read this blog, I might consider adopting your goat boys. But rest assured, you've cured me of any goat aspirations. Plus I have twice as many kids as you...

    ReplyDelete