Saturday, February 8, 2014

Wardrobe Malfunctions


Twins, my teenage daughters are accustomed to borrowing each others' clothing, as in "Do you mind if I wear your red miniskirt to the dance this weekend?" However, while it may be socially acceptable to share clothes with your sister, it's really unfortunate to have to share clothing with your goat. 

Because of Elliot's annoying propensity to twist his head around and bite holes in his back, he now wears a shirt all the time. It's difficult to find clothes that both fit and flatter him, and most of the shirts require some modification (like cutting away half the front so as not to impede his urinary flow.) I look for castoffs from friends and discount store specials, but the clothes that seem to fit him best come from my daughters' closet. Picture this tug-of-war over a hot pink camisole in the hallway -

 "Mom! You can't take that! Put it back!!" 
"But you never wear it! All his other shirts are in the wash."
"It's not fair! Why can't he share clothes with Dad?"

Last weekend, a couple we know only casually dropped by for a visit. Mike and I had taken the goats out for a walk in the field, but at the sight of an unfamiliar vehicle ("We could jump on that!"), the goats dashed back to the driveway. I can only imagine what our guests thought as I chased the goats, shrieking "Not the car! Not the car!" I caught my breath, we chatted politely, and they left after a few minutes. As I corralled the meandering goats and locked them in their pen, I realized what had been bothering me. I called to Mike, "Did they ask about Elliot's outfit?" Shrugging, he answered, "No, it never came up. We were talking about cars."

Great. They were probably too polite to ask why my goat was dressed in a bright yellow flowered tank top. (Most of his wardrobe comes from the girls' closet, after all.) I'm not sure which option is scarier - that one more family now considers me a lunatic, or that they already thought that and were therefore not at all surprised to see that I cross-dress a goat. I guess you can either have an intact reputation, or you can have goats. Not both.

No comments:

Post a Comment