Sunday, October 6, 2013

Read My Lips!


This weekend my daughters and I attended one of our favorite events - the annual book sale at our local library. With hundreds of books for less than a dollar each, we found several treasures. Megan's best deal was a hardback fashion manual claiming to contain "100 little-known, free beauty tips," while Emily found the complete works of Ms. Dickinson, her favorite poet who shares her name. Back home, I left them devouring their books while I went out to check on the goats.

Elliot ambled up beside me, rubbing his face briskly against my leg. Along with his other skin ailments, he has a fungus-like rash around his mouth, and he seems to find relief from the itching by rubbing it against the rough denim of our jeans. (Yes, it does leave a bit of a slimy residue, but how can we deny Ellie that small measure of comfort?)

Inside, I headed to the bathroom to wash my hands (always a good idea after close personal contact with the goats these days) - but what on earth?? Megan stood in front of the mirror, vigorously rubbing a dry washcloth back and forth across her mouth!  Horrors - could Ellie's itchy fungus-face be contagious to humans?

"Megan," I gasped, "What's wrong? Why are you doing that?"

She stopped rubbing and gave me one of those squinty-eyed teenager looks. "Duh, Mom, I'm exfoliating my lips, of course." She nodded toward the open page of her new beauty book.

Well, it does clear up one mystery - now I know how Ellie got to be such a beautiful goat!

No comments:

Post a Comment