Monday, June 11, 2012

Embarrassing Shopping Anecdote...

When you are getting goats, there is so much to learn...I got several how-to manuals from the local library, taking random notes on scraps of paper and then keeping them in a file. We started out with just fencing, grain and hay, but I quickly realized I needed to make a major excursion to the local feed store for all the other "goat necessities" which apparently no responsible goat owner would ever be without - hoof trimming tools, Blu-kote, BloodStop, pine tar, cornstarch, spare vaccines and antibiotics, mineral licks, vitamin B1 supplements, 14.6% feed - the list was extensive (and going to also be quite expensive, I feared). I found most of the things scrawled on my paper, but could not locate one item, which I had written next to the mineral supplements - nannyberries. I figured this was probably a chewable supplement (like you give your children) but wasn't sure if it was just for nanny (female) goats or if my bucklings needed them too. Maybe it would say on the bottle, if only I could find them on the shelves...


Perhaps I am not getting enough sleep lately, but apparently "nannyberries" are not actually a vitamin supplement - but rather a delicate euphemism for the berry-shaped droppings my goat boys excrete in large quantities - in other words, goat poop. Why can't these authors just say what they mean??

And if you are wondering whether I actually asked the store clerk where I could purchase a bottle of nannyberries, well, I'm going to have to plead the fifth on that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment