Sunday, September 18, 2016

Anti-sleep conspiracy?


Speaking of cats - well, we weren't, but I'll get to that...(and goats too)

Several nights ago the phone rang at 1:30 am - groggy and panicked I grabbed the cordless while my husband ran for the hall phone. A pleasant male voice greeted us.

"Uh, is Maggie there?" (Name changed to protect the innocent, or my daughter away at college)

"What?? No, who is this?"

"Well, we're working on a group project together, and I had a question..."

"THIS IS HER FATHER - " (Angry Darth Vader voice, lecturing her mortified classmate who somehow thought he had her cell number) And really, who calls at that time for any reason, even though it turns out she was at that moment awake and baking scones with her roommate...

Last month we were awakened by a pounding on the door at 3:30 am, greeted by a uniformed police officer holding a small yapping terrier. He had found this collarless dog wandering the street, and spying our fenced yard, thought it might be ours. Really?? At this hour?? And would we need six-foot fencing for a dog little bigger than my cat?? My husband noted later that we should be glad the officer asked, and didn't just drop the dog in the fencing. Look, Emerson, we got a new toy! Except, my goats are terrified of our pet cats...a dog in their habitat might transform them into fainting goats!

Fast forward to last night, again mid-sleep, when I suddenly woke to an awareness of something small and furry, with claws, creeping across my stomach. Shrieking, I leapt from the bed and flipped on the lights, only to realize (once I could breathe again) that the midnight creature on me was in fact merely my cat stretching out his back leg across my body. (In retrospect, I am probably safe from nocturnal rodents with a feline who sleeps nestled against me!)

Sorry, goats - no walk today. Mommy really needs a nap!!



No comments:

Post a Comment