Wednesday, April 27, 2016

A Goat on the Podium


I heard this morning that we are at the 100-day countdown for the start of the summer Olympics, which reminded me of the Sochi games two years ago and the February blizzard which left us mammoth snowdrifts for weeks and turned our driveway into a treacherous luge run with four-foot high ice walls. That was also when Emerson, frustrated with pent-up energy, invented the game of running up and down the driveway, over and over, at breakneck goat speed until we finally decided he deserved a medal.

All I can say now is, thank goodness for spring!!

As I had hoped, the arrival of warmer weather accomplished what none of my myriad homeopathic and pharmacological treatments could do - Elliot's skin condition has again abated. Hair is growing back where he sported scabby, bald patches, his weeping sores have disappeared and he no longer itches and bites himself all day. After four years I finally see the pattern - the exacerbations start each December for a winter of misery, then he improves in April and by May will be gorgeous until cold weather arrives again. This is a puzzle for which I have no answer.

Spring heralds other goat activities for us, including the administration of annual vaccines (which we did Sunday afternoon) and quarterly hoof-trimming (which we are postponing until my daughters are home as this is at least a 3-person job here). With my birthday forthcoming, a friend suggested I treat myself to a "mani-pedi" and get my nails done. No thanks, really, but I wonder if I could somehow convince the goats that hoof care can be a soothing and pleasurable experience rather than the frantic fight we usually face. I mean, what if I went to a nail salon and behaved like Em and Ellie? Really!! Can't you imagine the conversation behind the counter?

"Hey Stella, your next appointment is here. Want me to pin her down while you file her nails? Maybe Kelly can stuff cookies in her mouth while singing 'Soft Kitty'  -  just hope I don't get kicked in the head again this time!"

Goats...


1 comment:

  1. Do you take appointments? I have never had my nails professionally done. I'd patiently wait my turn after the goats, and I promise not to kick.

    Or would I?

    ReplyDelete