Friday, October 2, 2015

Oh, Yoga Pants...

Ever have a day like this?

Invigorated by a crisp autumn morning, I decided to attempt some new yoga poses in the privacy of my lower driveway, behind the garage. Eyes closed and embracing the meditation, I startled to hear a door slam, and emerging from his truck a mere ten feet from my spandex-clad and enfolded limbs, was my plumber, here totally unexpectedly to complete some work he started several weeks ago.

Since his work is in the goat yard, I grabbed the leashes and heaved the goats toward their other fenced area, a journey they generally fight each tortuous step. Suddenly, Emerson bolted, like a four-legged Flash hurtling me at breakneck speed across the field as I fought to both stay upright and keep hold of his leash. Was this some diabolical revenge because I refused to let him enter our local Goat Races?? Somehow I finally got him through the gate, then went back for Elliot, then finally, gasping, back to the plumber, who had been leaning against his truck and chewing on a toothpick as the spectacular race unfolded. He squinted at me.

"Do you breed goats for profit, or the milk?" he asked. "What I mean is, what's the purpose of them?"

Oh, some questions are not meant to be answered, but I didn't hesitate. (Have you never shouted at your plumber?)

"The entertainment value isn't enough??!! Here you are on a routine septic tank repair call, and you get to watch a middle-aged woman in yoga pants do the hundred-yard-dash with a lunatic goat? Isn't that worth something? (Maybe even a discount on the bill...)"

Truly I still don't know if I actually snapped this reply aloud or just thought it to myself...I guess I'll know when I see the final invoice.

Leaving him to his work in the yard and the basement, I limped to the kitchen to console myself with a post-workout fruit smoothie. Nothing beats fresh juicy peaches...Only after I had peeled and sliced half a dozen of them, their sticky nectar oozing through my fingers, did I realize - all my water had been shut off.

Maybe the goats will lick my fingers for me...


2 comments:

  1. This is hysterical!!! I've read it over a few times and still laughing. BTW, Justina saw the notice that you had blogged before me, but I actually read the blog before her! I Won!! (I think she won the last couple of times. sigh.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goatmama: Justina just told me this morning: "She needs to write another blog!!! I need my goat fix!" Ha ha. I love that you write these blogs. They bring such joy into Justina's and my life. After all our life is so boring because we don't have any goats. (And no, we can't have any here in our little city. Whew!) We will continue to live vicariously through you! Miss you and hope you and fam are doing well. Tell the girls we said "Hi!" Will probably be up again near the end of February(?)

    ReplyDelete