Friday, July 11, 2014

Happy Crappy

At the camp where Emily works, all staff attend a required meeting each Friday evening after the campers depart for home. This is a time to debrief, share stories of the week, collect paychecks - but mostly, for "Happy Crappy."  As Emily explained, "Happy Crappy" is when counselors, lifeguards and cooks alike share the best - and worst - moments of their week. For example, Emily's "crappy" was when she misjudged the gas stove and burnt eleven gallons of tomato soup half an hour before lunch, while another fellow on the kitchen staff shared his "happy" as two hours spent cleaning the oven with Emily...because of the inspiring conversation. I may need to ask for more details here...

So, what if the goats played this game? Perhaps I'd overhear some dialogue from their shed...

"What's your happy today, Elliot?"

"Well, the hot bucket was steaming today, brother - and then when you butted her while she was dripping in the vinegar and she spilled in half the bottle - I loved that!"

"Yeah, that was pretty tricky of me..."

"And how the dad person brushed me all over and then I shook flakes all into the bucket of fresh water and she yelled and got so mad 'cause she had to refill it - that was so funny!!"

"I thought the animal crackers after breakfast were especially delicious today, and the dried orange peels for our afternoon snack - mmmmm! And then she miscounted and gave us each three pods instead of two...and we got watermelon rinds for dessert!"

"Oh yeah, the best. But I think my happy is the same as every day - I know, I know, but we can both have the same happy!"

"I just love the afternoon walk too, brother. Those weeds by the creek , and the crunchy leaves, and how we hurtle down the hill so fast! I ate so many raspberries today - maybe even more than she picked - and she didn't even push me away from the plants. Best hour of my day."

"So, what's your crappy, brother?"

(Silence)

"Me neither."


Sometimes I wish I was a goat.


No comments:

Post a Comment