Monday, November 11, 2013

Pods: Part 2

SPOILER ALERT - if you haven't read the previous post ("Pods for the Goat Boys"), you should go back and read that first. Otherwise you will think I am a complete lunatic. Ok, ok, you might think that anyway...


Today after school Emily and I drove to the park where she had discovered a gigantic locust tree. What a bonanza - there were seed pods everywhere! The goats are set for the winter, no question, and there are still hundreds of pods hanging from the tree - we may go back next week and fill our bags again. Concerned about possible toxicity (as my car and garage now have a distinct and very strong vinegary smell), I looked up locust pods in our old World Book encyclopedia. With my daughters laughing at me (why don't you just google it, mom?), I learned two interesting facts. First, the waxy locust seeds inside the pods are not digestible but are excreted in their unchanged form. Yes, we had noticed that...Second, the apparently-sweet pulp of locust pods is sometimes ground into cattle feed, so I assume it is not a toxic substance. 

Snacktime, goats!!


1 comment: