Thursday, September 12, 2013

Stinky Feet - or Goats in Socks?


In the never-ending nightmare which has become our goat experience, we have recently added a new fashion accessory - baby socks. Unable to bite their behinds and bellies (because of the cones), Em and Ellie have taken to biting their feet and creating festering, foul-smelling open wounds. "Stinky feet" is no joke around our house. Now our daily routine includes cleaning and re-dressing the wounds, then covering them with stretchy cotton baby socks and tape. This is fairly traumatic for everyone involved - when the goats see me coming they run and hide behind the shed. (I usually find them - sorry boys, I have years of experience with hide-and-seek!)

Incredibly frustrated and after yet another consultation with my vet, today we embarked on a new treatment plan.This attempt includes a series of weekly injections (she gave the shots today, I'll give the rest) along with a topical preparation.The boys also had their feet shaved and scrubbed and got a shot of antibiotics.

Sensitive to the fact that I am close to losing my mind, my vet gently offered to try and find another home for our goats. I laughed. Who on earth would want a pair of crazy goats with a contagious and incurable skin disease?  Not to worry, she assured me - there are compassionate people out there willing to adopt goats with special needs.

Maybe they will adopt me.

No comments:

Post a Comment