Friday, August 16, 2013

Adventures at Farm Camp


Meet Sunny,  one of the main attractions at a local "Farm Camp" my daughter Megan attended as a Junior Counselor this week. (Petunia is the smaller goat inside the fenced area she shares with one other goat and two pigs; Sunny runs free around the property because he does not get along with the other animals.) Tonight, to close out a marvelous week of learning, nature and outdoor fun, families were invited to a program and potluck supper at the farm. Because this is the type of camp where parents would bring potluck dishes like fresh salsa, quinoa-cranberry salad and homemade applesauce, I knew my standard offering of box-mix brownies would not suffice. Imagine my delight to locate an impressive recipe for chocolate zucchini brownies which contained not only a green garden vegetable but also plain yogurt and whole wheat flour. (Sure to impress!) Before heading over to the side field for the program, I proudly deposited my brownies on the designated "Dessert Table" in the yard, nestling them between a pair of scrumptious-looking homemade peach pies. Mmmm...

I cannot pretend my mind did not wander as the camp director read us a story about caterpillars. What an amazing place! I wonder how much that fencing cost? I cannot believe all these parents paid money to have their children work in the garden and muck out goat pens all week! 

Time to eat! A herd of children ran off to get in line for food, but as I was still pushing my stiff knees up from sitting in the grass, I heard a cacophony of yells, moans, "Oh no, Sunny!" Apparently as we were singing and dancing the butterfly hokey-pokey, Sunny had helped himself to the desserts, feasting from tins and pie plates before knocking them to the ground for the chickens to finish. There he stood, one foot in the center of a peach pie, munching away. Only one lonely dessert remained, untouched, on the table. Were my zucchini brownies so awful that even a goat wouldn't eat them?

Actually, as now the only dessert at the picnic, those brownies were the hit of the party - not a single one left. Take that, goat!

No comments:

Post a Comment